Image courtesy of Cooltext.com

This is the old site. Click the title to go to the new Shoot a Liberal.

*Disclaimer: Don't actually shoot liberals... Impaling is much more satisfying. But then again, there's always walking the plank...

Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's Not Right

I like the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. The officers I have met are great people and I am fortunate to have made their acquaintance. I even count some of them among my friends.

What I don't like is seeing motorcycle cops drive down the median, without lights or siren, just because traffic is down to 35 MPH on the freeway. If a cop is not responding to a call, he or she should be required to obey the same traffic laws as any other driver on the road. Why should they get to be the execption just because they wear a uniform and drive a bike that says 'POLICE' on it?

If I read the NRS section 484 right, an emergency vehicle may "disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions" only when "responding to an emergency call or when in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm". I don't see anything about 'when traffic is moving slower than you like, feel free to pass everyone in the median'. No lights, no siren, no emergency, means no driving in the median.

Unless of course, you want to make it legal for everyone else to do the same. If that's the case, I'm buying a Harley.



Day By Day© by Chris Muir.