Image courtesy of Cooltext.com

This is the old site. Click the title to go to the new Shoot a Liberal.

*Disclaimer: Don't actually shoot liberals... Impaling is much more satisfying. But then again, there's always walking the plank...

Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Sad Tale

I normally don't post about personal experiences here but I feel this tale must be told. A warning to anyone who reads this post, it is sad. If you are in the mood for funny, go to CUG or IMAO.

On to my sad story:

The hardest lessons a parent can learn is when one of their children is injured. This hard lesson came at the expense of my 10 month old son Brandon. I was supposed to be working overtime last night. I got up at 11:30 to begin my day and started my usual routine. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a cup of coffee, and sat down to watch some news.

Brandon is getting to be quite the little walker now. Not on his own, but he can get along while holding on to furniture. Usually he sticks to the coffee table so we keep it clear for him, as he will grab anything on it. This is why I put the coffee on the end table. Scalding hot coffee.

I'm sure you can guess what happens from here. He makes his way to the end table right next to where I was sitting, grabs the cup, and before I can get to it, dumps it over.

Shock. Fear. My wife grabs for him. He hasn't started crying yet since the shock of it keeps the pain sensors off. We get his clothes off and put him in the sink. The cries begin as I pour cool water over his skin. My wife calls 9-1-1 and the paramedics are on the way.

She notices it first. Something on his skin? No, that is skin. Peeling off. She is in hysterics now and I'm not much better off.

The paramedics arrive and declare them 2nd degree burns. I feel very little relief from this. We decline the ambulance ride and drive Brandon to University Medical Center ourselves. They have a very good burn unit.

He is still crying, but there are no more tears because there are no more left. It's okay, I have enough for both of us. We get him into the pediatric ER and they give him demerol. This calms him and puts him to sleep.

The worst part is to come. We get to the burn unit and only one parent is allowed in. Mom takes him and I stay. I know what is about to happen. They have to clean it. The cries are the worst yet. I have to walk away or go insane. I walk. I cry. It's my fault.

I don't want to hear that it isn't. I should have known. I childproofed everything I could but didn't think that he would go for the cup?! A very hard lesson. And now my perfect little child has to suffer because his daddy didn't think.

I know he has forgivin me. I see it when he looks into my eyes and smiles. I know forgivness of myself will come but not for a while. The guilt is too stong now.



Day By Day© by Chris Muir.