Image courtesy of Cooltext.com

This is the old site. Click the title to go to the new Shoot a Liberal.

*Disclaimer: Don't actually shoot liberals... Impaling is much more satisfying. But then again, there's always walking the plank...

Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

As it is Labor Day and I am stuck at work, I am not going to be blogging about the Katrina disaster, moonbats, oil prices, or anything like that. Instead I'm going to talk about my last job.

I spent 6 years in the U.S. Navy as a nuclear electronics technician. My job was to operate the nuclear power plant on board the USS George Washington CVN-73. Before I went to the ship, I had to endure 3 years of training, memorizing information that filled a stack of books 6 feet tall.

On the ship, the shift rotation was 5 and 10 (five hours on, ten hours off). My berthing was right next to the catapult riser, so whenever a plane took off it shook the compartment. It was hard work, but it was the experience of a lifetime. I won't lie and say I loved every minute, but I will say that I am proud of my service and I am eternally grateful for the time I had serving on board the greatest ship in the fleet.

I recall the first time I saw the ship. She was in the drydock at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Virginia. I came through the security turnstile and my heart began to race. This was MY ship. This huge beast was going to be my home and workplace for the next 3 years. The biggest surprise was the fact that it actually FLOATED! 90,000 tons of steel that would ride the seas and launch fighter planes off its flight deck.

I only went on one deployment with the carrier group to the Mediterranian Sea. Six months is a long time to be away from home, even for a single guy, but the things we got to see were worth it. I have been to Italy, Spain, Croatia, the UAE, Greece, Turkey, and Bahrain. I have walked the streets of Rome, eaten calimari in Porta de Palmas, and had gyros in Athens. I am so fortunate to have done these things and I have the Navy to thank for it.

I also thank the Navy for the training that allowed me to get the job I have now. Speaking of which, I had better get back to it. Gotta make the megawatts.



Day By Day© by Chris Muir.